Friday, August 10, 2007

black flower necklace

I was Maid of Honor in my best friend's wedding. Thankfully she allowed us to pick out our own black dresses, instead of forcing us each into the same tangerine or mauve atrocity. I had just purchased a wire jig from Fire Mountain, and I felt that black-coated wire was the best thing to start experimenting with.

Turns out I could figure out some daisy-like flowers, but that was about it. So I worked on perfecting the flowers. Slowly I realized that my bridesmaid dress was draped in black beaded flowers - very similar to the ones I was making for fun. I made 3 flowers and linked them with a small chain. Then I had to re-coat some spots of the wire with black nail polish where the copper was showing through.

I sat on the 3-flower chain for a while, not knowing how to complete the necklace. On an unrelated shopping trip, I brought home some white Swarovski bicone crystals and realized that the wedding's color theme was black, white, and red. I had some large red crystals, and I threw together some seed beads, and voila! My bridesmaid's necklace was done. Perfectly matching, with just a hint of sparkle.

See the necklace at Sun Sparkle Designs.